You are now entering the Retention Phase of your treatment. During this very important phase, we’ll be working with you to maintain the end results you’ve achieved.
It is absolutely necessary to follow the guidelines we give you when wearing removable retainers to help make your smile last a lifetime! You will also need to maintain an oral hygiene routine at home, and continue seeing your dentist regularly. This is even MORE important if you also have fixed/bonded retainers.
Once again, congratulations on your incredible results, and thank you for choosing our office to go on this smile journey with! We value having you as our patient and love when you share your SCO experience with family and friends.
Here are the steps to ensure your smile stays in line for life:
- Wear your retainers EVERY NIGHT or as directed by the doctor. Teeth can shift FAST, so missing even one night of wear can lead to movement. Don’t let your hard work go to waste!
- Clean your retainers each morning with soap/water or mouthwash. DO NOT use toothpaste or place them in boiling water to clean; These methods can damage your retainer! To loosen any build-up on the retainer, use a mixture of 2 tablespoons of vinegar and 1 cup of water.
- For any future appointments, please bring your retainer with you. We may need to evaluate it’s condition or fit.
- IF you have a fixed/bonded retainer, floss around it daily. Be careful not to pull up on the wire or cause the wire to loosen. If you’re having a hard time flossing, we recommend trying ‘floss threaders’, ‘soft-picks’ or a water flosser.
- If your fixed/bonded retainer feels LOOSE, DETACHED or CAME OFF, call/text us ASAP to schedule a repair appointment. If it came off, please SAVE THE WIRE. If for any reason you don’t have the wire with you at the repair appointment, you will be charged for taking a new scan and remaking the wire. AFTER SCHEDULING YOUR REPAIR APPOINTMENT, increase the amount of time you wear your removable retainer in the meantime until your appointment.
- If you lose, damage or break your removable retainer, call/text us to schedule an appointment IMMEDIATELY. Any and all fees for lost, damaged or broken retainers will be at the current replacement cost.